Re: nvidia or ati ?

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Kahn Seidl wrote:

here is the low down with ati vs. nvidia in linux

ati doesnt care about linux, there drivers horrible.

It's not that they don't care, their execution is a little lacking. If they didn't care their wouldn't be a proprietary driver. That was the case before the radeon 8500.

If you're willing to use a radeon 9000/9200/9250 you can a decent non-proprietary open-gl support. It won't be adequate for high-end games becuase it can't among other things support s3-texture compression, but it works, and it's non-proprietary.

in the time before last release drivers, a geforce 5700 would beat a 9800 by a sizable margin.

In windows-land driver quality has been an issue that has dogged both vendors at various times. if enough people use the linux driver it's liekly that they'll spend more cycles on it. As it is they view the market as rather small, and spend most of their time supporting their workstation cards and applications, as those customers are the most valueable.

nvidias drivers are much better and perfom much better. the new ati drivers improve the situation, but, it is still crappy compared to nvidia.

It is yes. Most of our boxes save the one that actually needs opengl that have nividia cards we use the x.org driver. in the recent past we've been buying all the laptops with intel graphics, because frankly the hassle of dealing with propietary drivers when you also want the thing to sleep is just to much work. Yes it's slower and not adequate for high-end gaming, but it works out of the box.

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2

OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915GM 20050225 x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 6.3.2

martin