Re: Bug report requests for Fedora build of OpenOffice.org software

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 19:25, Bob Kline wrote:
> (Yes, I know it doesn't make any sense for developers
> to turn down carefully prepared feedback on problems
> in their software, no matter where it's built.  I'm
> just passing on what I was told by the OOo team.
> Sorry!)

Bob,

it is very unfortunate that you had to go through this. Most OSS users
eventually end up with this problem.

For one or another reason a distribution repackages code and then the upstream
providers will not help you out. Happened in the past with kde, the kernel,
ooo, cdrecord and many many others.

There is usually a good reason for what the distributions do - make things
look or behave differently, resolve conflicts or fix bugs that aren't fixed
upstream yet. The upstream package providers don't like that because they
don't appreciate others changing the code and then being asked for help.

Unfortunately for the user, since you got the software for free you end up and
both sides point fingers at the other, you end up without support.

I know none of this really helps other than show you that you're not alone.
The only thing I can do is recommend that next time before you spend too much
time troubleshooting you verify that someone is actually willing to help you
out. Of course, if you have more time and are capable of comparing the
upstream and the fedora version your help will probably be much more
appreciated.

Peter.