USB subsytem

Good day all,

I have a FC3 web and file server. This server runs apcupsd and provides the network UPS communication interface. I looking through my root mail this morning, i found that @ 4:43 this morning this server lost contact with the UPS directly connected to it via the USB port. This setup was always working and a similar configuration is still currently working on another remote server.

I tried firstly restarting the service (apcupsd) the slave machines which had shown signs of being connected to the ups before now indicated that the communication was lost and successful restart of the service is yet to be achieved. Checked the logs, did some googling, went to the support page for apcupsd which pointed me to the instructions and precautions i had to take when installing etc...

I tried unplugging and replugging the UPS even into different ports and got

Oct 18 09:23:40 soca kernel: usb 1-2: device not accepting address 11, error -110 Oct 18 09:23:40 soca kernel: usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12 Oct 18 09:23:50 soca kernel: usb 1-2: device not accepting address 12, error -110 Oct 18 09:23:50 soca kernel: usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 13 Oct 18 09:23:54 soca kernel: usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110 Oct 18 09:24:09 soca kernel: usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110 Oct 18 09:24:09 soca kernel: usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 14 Oct 18 09:24:12 soca kernel: usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110

appended to the /var/messages/log

I've considered restarting the system - but for fear of disruption would wonder if there is an alternative or a way to restarted the USB subsystem that keeps being mentioned in my google results?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome...

Thank you

--
*Trevor "TeC" Christian*
/TeC Productions Studios/