Re: amd64 bit chips

--On Monday, October 17, 2005 8:21 PM -0400 Ed Hill <ed@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Did you know that, when developing user-space applications, there is
almost *never* a need to reboot to use the i386 and x86_64 versions of
FC-4?

Thanks! I just *knew* there must be an easier way!

Do you happen to know of any CPU-detection resources for 64-bit? I'm doing some game development and there's a piece of assembler that determines what CPU features are available, and I need to port that to AMD64.

The other piece of code I need to port is serialization logic that turns pointers into 32-bit unsigned tags, and stores the tag back into the pointer before streaming to disk or network. I'll probably have to create dual class stacks to hold the on-media 32-bit-compatible form and the in-memory version with 64-bit pointers.