Re: Webcam application in FC-4?

M Daniel R M wrote:

El jue, 13-10-2005 a las 06:27 +0200, Eric Tanguy escribió:
Le mercredi 12 octobre 2005 à 20:15 -0400, Bob Goodwin a écrit :
Is there an application in FC4 that will permit the making of a still picture with a cheap USB webcam?

Bob Goodwin   w2bod   Zuni, Virginia

You can use camE. it takes picture and upload it to where you want and
all in background.

Camorama and camstream are two developed apps just for that purpose.
GnomeMeeting can take snapshots too, as you were said yet.

Also, xawtv can do that, if launched as "xawtv -c /dev/videox" where "x"
is the number for your usb webcam device. Then just hit Ctrl+J when
you're ready...:-)

There are several other apps that can manage a webcam, but here we'd
talking about video streams...

Regards

Daniel
I am still trying to make this webcam work but without much success. The computer apparently sees it but the applications I have tried don't and I haven't found much documentation. I have two devices connected to the USB ports, the HP scanner works ok with FC4 but not the camera.

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:0701 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300c/5370c
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04fc:0561 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
CamE starts and dies apparently because it's not seeing the camera:

$ camE
camE: camE 1.9 - (c) 1999, 2000 Gerd Knorr, Tom Gilbert
camE: grabber config: size 320x240, input 0, norm 0, jpeg quality 75
can't load font arial/8
can't load font arial/8
open /dev/video0: No such file or directory

GnomeMeeting reports that no video device is found.

I also installed "camstream." It runs but displays no video either. It appears that
I have something misconfigured but I don't know what?

Any thought as to what I've missed or done wrong?

Bob Goodwin