Blank Screen After Yum Update (followup to Kevin Kempter)

Hi All,

Unfortunately, I joined the list after Kevin Kempter made a similar post about this problem just this morning so I couldn't respond to his posting.

That being said.....

I have the EXACT same problem as Kevin. However, I struggled with this issue a bit over the past few days and have discovered a bit more.

When I update everything, I get into the state like Kevin. My screen goes blank, in fact it goes into sleep mode. I can ssh into the machine and everything seems to work fine there, but when I do a shutdown / reboot, it never does. I think it gets hung trying to shutdown a service or something.

Once I'm in this state, I can boot the machine using the FC4 shipping kernel (2.6.11....) and everything works again. (Kevin, you may want to try this if you don't need an up to date kernel). However, this didn't work for me because I needed a more current kernel for my tv- tuner card.

If I upgrade my kernel to the latest (2.6.13...), but do not upgrade anything else, my machine works fine.

So, it must be a combination of kernel + something else. I admit i didn't spend too much time trying to figure out what the "something" else was. I'm assuming it was something like the xorg stuff or maybe something in KDE.

Kevin, are you running KDE? if not, maybe we could rule that out.

How about hardware?

I have a vanilla PC.
Intel GLLY MoBo, but have the on board video disabled.
ATI Radeon 7000, PCI
512 MB ram
2.2 GHz Celeron

Noel