display problem solved - summary

Hi Sir

  As a response to someone I read the message from this afternoon, which
asked for me to give a summary of the problem I encountered and solved,
it was quite easy.

  - 32-bit FC4 installed,
  - vesa driver configured in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  - /etc/X11/xorg.conf file permissions set up to rw-r--r--
  - Graphic card: ASUS Geforce 6200 TurboCache(TM)
  - Monitor: LG Flatron L1730S LCD monitor.

  In general, the nv driver supports this card, but I had some problems
by using it, the window horizontal side  was slightly too small for
seeing the vertical scrollbar, and I've had some problems after
installing the nvidia driver, so I uninstalled it by running:
'nvidia-installer uninstall'

  At FC4 install, neither the card not the monitor were recognized, so
the install assigned me the default vesa driver, but I didn't enter the
vert et horiz sync refresh rates at install time, for I didn't know them
yet.

  After setting those datas and configured for 1024x768, 800x600 and
640x480 in the Display sub-section in xorg.conf, I got a correct display
after running startx as root, but as a normal user the display window
was too small in the entire screen, and no menu was available.

  Someone said to me the 'Load "glx"' and 'Load "dri"' lines were not
compatible with one another, and I did know the DRI specification which
is at the end of the xorg.conf file, was configured at install time. So
I commented the Load "glx" line, afterward all worked fine, as normal
user as well as root.

  That's all. removing the Load "glx" line solved the problem entirely.

  Many thanks and greetings to all which helped me to solve this
problem. Without you I was lost.

  Thank you very much.

  Best regards.

  Jean Francois Ortolo