Re: Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 09:25 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

> I guess I wasn't specific enough. I meant the historical
> reasons they came into existence, not what uses were later
> found for them.

Unix has been using disk partitions well before the PC BIOS existed.

> > - ease of data backups
>
> I don't follow this. How does splitting my data up into chunks
> make it easier to use or backup?

Most tools that perform backups can be told to restrict themselves to a
partition. If you use other methods, you could find your backup
mechanism following symlinks and backing up more than was expected.

You can also do a raw backup of just the parition you need - eg. dd
the /boot partition to save it when messing with the bootloader. With
the size of modern disks, I could never want to have just one big lump
of disk.

> > - ease of operating system upgrades
>
> My reason (2) above is a superset of this.

The last update I did, I could confidently do a "clean" install
(preferable as it adds new OS features) knowing that all the custom work
I had done in /usr/local would be left alone. Likewise /home was left
untouched. The only backup/restore required was for various files
in /etc.

> > - containment of runaway process consuming filesystem resources
>
> IMO, this is better served by having a separate disc.
> But, a partition is cheaper in hardware.
> Anyway, my rather fuzzy goal is to let all the non-system
> stuff which dynamically changes size share a separate disc.

I work with a laptop most of the time. A separate disk would be
inconvenient.

> > - granularity of filesystem integrity checks
>
> I don't follow this. Are you trying to protect against
> a disc corruption damaging or losing large amounts of
> data? That is better handled by backup IMO. If you are
> trying to protect against disc failure, then all the
> partitions in the world won't mitigate the damage.

If you need to fsck your disk, presumably you will be fscking a _huge_
partition. If you have many smaller paritions, the fsck only needs to
repair the partition with the damaged filesystem. All your eggs are not
in one basket.

> > - granularity of different raid choices
>
> Ordinary users don't need RAID, IMO. Also, IMO, this
> is better done on a disc basis, not a partition basis.
> Ordinary strategies are not appropriate for those with
> special needs, anyway.

Not claiming to be an ordinary user :)

> > I still find that creating many partitions (I use 8 plus swap) makes for
> > easier administration, as long as you plan the partition sizes
> > carefully.
>
> And the last part of your sentence gives it all away, for me.
> Planning for future growth is reading crystal balls, sticking
> one's finger in the air, taking a WAG, and then later being
> wrong after all, and having to repartition. I prefer to have
> the computer manage the resources.
>
> But everyone has his own preferences.

Agreed - it took a long time to arrive at partitions I was happy with,
and often when one fills up, it is a royal pain moving things around.
I've been meaning to try out LVM - it may be the best of both worlds.

Cheers, Ben