Re: Unknown network activity every 5 minutes

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:14:43PM -0700, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 06:18, McGuffey, David wrote:
> > Have just started working with FC4 (after several years of working Solaris
> > and Windows efforts), and noticed that I'm getting network activity every 5
> > minutes, even when no one is logged onto the system.  It appears that a
> > process is waking up every 5 minutes and checking something--maybe DNS.  It
> > is a fresh install of FC4 desktop load, with SELinux and the firewall
> > enabled, and the latest updates via yum.  The machine sits behind a
> > separate firewall with rules that allow no externally originated
> > connections.  It is also on its a lone machine on its own isolated internal
> > network, with no connections allowed from other machines in the internal
> > network.
> >
> > Where is network activity logged?  If it isn't currently being logged, what
> > actions do I take to log this kind of activity?  What process might be
> > doing this?
> >
> > Dave McGuffey
> > Principal Information System Security Engineer
> > SETA, Transformational Satellite Program
> > SAIC, Columbia, MD 21046
> > 410.859.1165 (w) // 301.801.9752 (c)
>
> In addition to Paul and Andys replies, you might check out whether cron is
> scheduling some job every 5 minutes.  Look in /etc/crontab.
>
> HTH,
> Tom
It looks to me that looking for the running of mrtg is in order. It is
configured to run every 5 minutes checking what ever it has been
configured to check, most often network load.

Sometimes I live in the country,
And sometimes I live in town.
And sometimes I have a great notion,
To jump in the river and drown.