Re: FC4 screen resolution problem

Jean François Ortolo wrote:
On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 10:25 -0500, Jonathan Berry wrote:

On 10/12/05, Jean François Ortolo <ortolojf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Videocard0"
       Driver      "vesa"
       VendorName  "ASUS"
       BoardName   "GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)"
       videoram    0
EndSection

I doubt you will get very high screen resolution with the vesa driver.
I highly suggest that you install the nvidia driver and use it.  To
do that, install the driver as root, then change the "vesa" above to
"nvidia" and start X.  By the way, are you running 32-bit FC4 or
64-bit?  I also highly suggest 64-bit since you have an Athlon64 in
which case you will need to get the x86_64 nvidia driver.  I don't
know if the "nv" driver works with the newer cards, but you could also
try that one if you do not want to install the nvidia binary driver.

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen0"
       Device     "Videocard0"
       Monitor    "Monitor0"
       DefaultDepth     24
       SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
               Depth     16
               Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
               Depth     24
               Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
EndSection

You will need to add in the modes you want to use too, as has been stated.

[snip]

 Jean Francois Ortolo

Jonathan

Thank you very much Sir

  I have been trying only 1024x768 and 800x600, I doubt the vesa driver
doesn't support 1024x768.

  I already tried the nVidia IA32 driver, for I presume I have 32-bits
FC4, it was the only one available on ftp.free.fr , if I'm not wrong, at
the time I downloaded it.

  With the IA32 nVidia driver, I have get exactly the same problem as
now, before uninstalling it to return to the vesa driver.

  I send the xorg.conf content according to the problem:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name
of the # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
  I think you need to remove "dri" as it cannot co-exist with "glx"
	Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

  david