Re: system lock up

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, chris wrote:

[...]

I dont see anything out of the ordinary that something is wrong, I can let the system sit for days and it runs fine, but when I start doing work on it, I start seeing the freezes (it froze up twice in about 3 hours today). But sometimes I can work several days in a row without a problem.

I would like any ideas on how to debug this.

My System:
Motherboard: IWill DP533
Processors: Dual 2.4GHz Xeon 533MHZ processors
Video: ATI Radeon 6500LE
Hard Drive: several small external SCSI Hard drives
Memory: 1G RAM
O/S: Fedora Core 4

I would look at your power supply. If you have a spare high wattage (480 Watt or bigger) P/S handy, I would try swapping it. A flaky power supply can cause random crashing - particularly under load. Other things that commonly cause random crashes on previously stable systems are overheating and bad RAM.

--
Benjamin Franz

Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible.
                                         - Alan Kay