Re: Can anyone read this?

On Tuesday, Oct 11th 2005 at 18:36 -0700, quoth Marcin Struzak:

=>Hi -- I posted 4 messages with questions on resizing/renaming partitions,
=>and did not get any replies.  I may seem dense, and not willing to accept
=>that noone wants to talk to me :-(, but there is this other possibility,
=>that for whatever reason, noone received my postings.  If you can read this,
=>can you, please, reply to the list?  Thanks!  --Marcin

Marcin, I feel your pain. I just had a need to write a tool for something
that involved a partition resize. My take on it is that parted does not
work. Plain and simple. It may work without some of the attributes on ext2
partitions that Fedora uses by default, but to divest your partition of
those attributes requires that you run fsck after and then all the files
that had that attribute gets deleted. I repeat. It doesn't work.

Another possibility is to make a partition smaller using resize2fs. That
seems to sort of work but it doesn't really do you any good. If you make a
partition smaller, fdisk still won't know that the adjacent partiton could
be made bigger.

Let me know if you make out any better.

steveo at syslang.net