Re: xfce messed up

On Monday 10 October 2005 22:28, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> On Monday 10 October 2005 21:40, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > On Monday 10 October 2005 21:32, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm still on FC3 and yesterday I tried switching to XFCE. That worked
> > > well, but now I can't get back to chose any other session.
> > >
> > > I have a system that should automatically login and that still works.
> > > But normally when I restart the Xserver I get a login screen. Now it
> > > always returns to XFCE without a login screen.
> > >
> > > How can I fix that ?
> >
> > Forgot to say that desktop switching tool doesn't work. It just doesn't
> > make any difference, whatever I chose.
>
> This is a real mess. I have no idea why xfce still starts :
>
> .Xclients-default  seems fine :
> #! /bin/bash
> # Created by Red Hat Desktop Switcher
>
> WM="startkde"
> WMPATH="/usr/bin /opt/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin"
>
> for p in $WMPATH ; do
> 	[ -x $p/$WM ] && exec $p/$WM
> done
>
> exit 1
>

> Amazingly it seems this script is never started. XFCE shouldn't have messed
> with system wide files, but it seems it did.

hmm, starting a second session for the user starts the correct desktop.

I wonder which file determines which desktop is started. Apparently it is not
the files .Xclients or .Xclients-defaults because those point to "startkde"
and that's also started for the second X session.
Either switchdesk or something in XFCE has changed my system configuration
such a way that now only XFCE can be started and switchdesk is overruled by
 something else.
Looking at files that changed on the specific date also didn't return any
useful info. It's a complete mystery to me what has happened but some
graphical tools messed up very badly (either XFCE configuration or switchdesk
as I didn't use any other).

Regards,
Marcel