Re: gnome-panel error message won't go away

Laurence wrote:
On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 09:28 -0400, Bill Perkins wrote:

Laurence wrote:

Hi All

I have a problem with gnome-panel, I get an error message box displayed
that says "I've detected a panel already running, and will now exit".
If I click "OK" in this box it goes away, but immediatly reappears.
I have tried restarting X and even rebooting the machine, but each time
this box comes back. I have the panel running ok, but get this box in
addition. In my attempts to clear this problem I have now ended up with
3 of these error message boxes all of which I can't get rid of!!

HELPPPP!!!

Laurence

I would switch to a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), login as root, and type in
ps -ax | grep gnome-panel
and see how many copies of gnome-panel are running (do this before logging in to X). If there is more than one copy running, somebody may have been monkeying around with the startup files in /etc (/etc/rc.*) or possibly in /etc/inittab.

Hi

there are no copies running prior to starting X and login on.

They seem to start when the session begins, but once started then
restart each time they are killed or when the error message is responded

Laurence

Hmmm... I don't know how Gnome starts itself up (new to FC4 and Gnome), but there is probably something in the startup files that is causing this.

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
 universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk@xxxxxxx
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.