Re: Disc Free (df) weirdness (FC2)

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 12:49, Mike McCarty wrote:

Just because you don't run them, doesn't mean that you don't have a bunch of programs running. just do a ps -ef and you'll see how much there is - even on an idle system you often have a few dozen processes.

Yes, I am aware. But what process would have consumed about 1G, and then
deleted it, while *another* process had it also opened?

It's a moderately common practice for programs to delete their own
files while still holding them open and using them.  I can't think of
any that do offhand, but...

I've done something like it on MSDOS using the file handle duplicate
sys call. When the duplicate file handle gets closed, it causes all
buffers to flush, and the directory to be updated. Faster
than closing/reopening the file. And since MSDOS doesn't
have a synch call...

But what is there which would do that with about 1G of disc
that I didn't intentionally run? To put it another way, what
"application" is there that would have such a file both deleted
and held open, but which would not be stopped when I had closed
all windows, then opened just one xterm (or I guess gnome-terminal)
for command-line use?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.