harddrives not detected by BIOS

I was using FC3 with 2 harddrives until one day it crashed and I couldn't do anything else then switching it off. I remember the harddrive led was blinking like crazy when this happened. After turning it on the BIOS couldn't detect the harddrives:

Auto-detecting Pri Master...Not detected
Auto-detecting Sec Master...Not detected

but detected both the dvd drive and the cd burner. Booting from the FC3 rescue cd didn't help either, it didn't see the harddrives (probably not a big surprise, if the BIOS said "not detected"). Is there any way to get the drives back online?