Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 20, Issue 38

wld wrote:

On 10/6/05, valentin antonescu <valduboisvert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can anybody give me some hints about how to
convince
bash to behave the same?
Not sure this answers your question...

Well, you could either just type the command, filling
several lines. Or
you could end each line with a \ to continue on the
next.

Lars
First thank you very much for your answer. Alas, as
you already guessed, this doesn't address my problem.
Let me try to explain it again. Long command lines are
supposed to be scrolled by bash. That is, when your
cursor reaches the very right-hand side of the window,
bash should continue the command on the next line. In
my case bash doesn't behave like this and I have no
ideea why.

Val

Hi Valentin,
You wrote that bash didn't continue the command on the new line.
What does bash instead? Does the command scroll to the left?
Do you have .inputrc file in your home directory? Is so, please
look into this file. If .inputrc contains a line
 set horizontal-scroll-mode on
that is the reason of your bash behaviour. From bash man page:

   `horizontal-scroll-mode'
         This variable can be set to either `on' or `off'.  Setting it
         to `on' means that the text of the lines being edited will
         scroll horizontally on a single screen line when they are
         longer than the width of the screen, instead of wrapping onto
         a new screen line.  By default, this variable is set to `off'.

Just deleting this line will 'repair' bash.
HTH
--
V.Rudenko
PS. Sorry for my bad English

Rudenko is on to something. I can make my bash shell duplicate what you describe by doing the command:

bind  'set horizontal-scroll-mode on'

In my shell. You might investigate the bash documentation and look for settings in you .inputrc, .bashrc and IIRC /etc/inputrc....

I've just expended my limited knowledge.  Hope this helps.

/--R/