Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 20, Issue 38

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 09:01 -0700, valentin antonescu wrote:

> >>  Can anybody give me some hints about how to
> convince
> >> bash to behave the same?
> >
> >Not sure this answers your question...
> >
> >Well, you could either just type the command, filling
> >several lines. Or
> >you could end each line with a \ to continue on the
> >next.
> >
> >Lars
>
>  First thank you very much for your answer. Alas, as
> you already guessed, this doesn't address my problem.
> Let me try to explain it again. Long command lines are
>  supposed to be scrolled by bash. That is, when your
> cursor reaches the very right-hand side of the window,
> bash should continue the command on the next line. In
> my case bash doesn't behave like this and I have no
> ideea why.

 My understanding is that the line wrapping is a property of the
terminal emulator you are using, not of bash. Maybe you were looking in
the wrong place for the setting to control this.

Try starting a pure xterm and see if it does what you want. It behaves
properly on the pretty standard FC4 system here.

--
Graham Campbell <gc1111@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>