Re: FC4, VMWare and prelink

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 11:10 +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> In earlier versions of VMWare Workstation (4.x) and Fedora Core it was
> necessary to add the following to /etc/prelink.conf:
>
> # Some tweaks for VMware Workstation 4.5.2 (hopefully we can remove this later)
> -b /usr/lib/vmware
> -b /usr/bin/vmnet-bridge
> -b /usr/bin/vmnet-dhcpd
> -b /usr/bin/vmnet-natd
> -b /usr/bin/vmnet-netifup
> -b /usr/bin/vmnet-sniffer
> -b /usr/bin/vmware-loop
> -b /usr/bin/vmware-nmbd
> -b /usr/bin/vmware-ping
> -b /usr/bin/vmware-smbd
> -b /usr/bin/vmware-smbpasswd.bin
> -b /usr/bin/vmware-vdiskmanager
>
> Does anyone know if this is still necessary with VMWare Workstation
> 5.0.x and FC4?
>
> TIA.
>
> Best, Darren

Hi Darren,

Ran 4.5.2 without problems (other than the early arguments with udev) on
FC2 through 4.  Have since installed VMWare 5 and am running that
without problem on FC4.  I never did adjust prelink, but perhaps it is
one of the things that the vmware-any-any-update resolves inside of
VMWare.  Currently, my /etc/prelink.conf has no unique references to
VMWare locations.  And, yes prelink is turned on.  Interestingly though,
if I look at /var/log/prelink.log (ran this morning at 4:02am), I have
some errors related to vmware:

> [root@rltp40f4 ~]# grep vmware /var/log/prelink.log
> /usr/sbin/prelink: /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmrun: Could not find one of the dependencies
> /usr/sbin/prelink: /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: Could not find one of the dependencies
> Prelinking /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx
> /usr/sbin/prelink: Could not write /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx: invalid section entry size
> Prelinking /usr/lib/vmware/bin-debug/vmware-vmx
> /usr/sbin/prelink: Could not write /usr/lib/vmware/bin-debug/vmware-vmx: invalid section entry size

But, in any event, it does work (though, as I recall, the
vmware-any-any-update did become necessary at one point to allow it to
compile the modules in vmware-config.pl and, of course, I need to re-run
vmware-config.pl every time I update my kernel)....

--Rob