Re: 'Root login failed' and 'machine slow' and 'brain hurts'

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 14:22, David Switzer wrote:
> Sorry for the quantized data... what a newbie I am  ;)
>
> The expansion memory I installed was 128 MB on top of an already 64 MB
> factory-install.

For FC3 192MB of memory is listed as minimum required for a graphical
environment, the release notes recommend minimum of 256MB of memory for
a graphical environment.  Personally I would not recommend anything less
than 512MB.

Per the other response you need to sort out what is causing the slow
response.  Run top and also look at the output of free.

The free command will show you the swap usage on your system.  Most
likely your machine is swapping pretty hard.  Any system that starts
swapping a lot will have a performance problem.

If you can get  more memory you should see an improvement in
performance.