Re: why are single quotes printed as Gamma C cedilla O umlaut?

At 2:13 PM -0400 10/2/05, sean wrote:
>if I lpr a text file the open single quotes three characters:
>
>Capital greek gamma ; uppercase C with a cedilla ; lowercase
>y with an umlaut
>
>Close singe quotes are :
>
>Capital greek gamma ; uppercase C with a cedilla ; uppercase
>  O with an umluat.
>
>Open double quotes are:
>
>capital greek gamma; uppercase C with a cedilla ; english
>sterling sign
>
>Close double quotes are:
>
>capital greek gamma; uppercase C with a cedilla ; yen sign
>
>less shows the text correctly. I'm on fc4.
>
>sean

You have some sort of mismatch with the charset (usually language
settings).  The text file is in Unicode UTF-8, which less is expecting,
while lpr or the printer is using some old 8-bit codepage (Microsoft calls
it OEM 437).  Try to get lpr or the printer onto the same page, accepting
UTF-8.  Check man lpr and the CUPS documentation it links to; possibly
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf has a DefaultCharset set away from the default
"utf-8".  Or maybe it's some other part of CUPS.

Also, whatever made the text file has "smartened" the quotes; being a
computer and having no smarts at all, the result is bad even when displayed
"properly".