PCMCIA Wireless Best Practice

FC3 Up to date

I have a couple systems that are connected to the internet and also connected to a private network that is wireless. These systems act as firewalls and gateways and mailservers. Enough background here is the problem (maybe).

I think I might be doing something wrong although I can get things working ok, but any network restart shuts down my wireless network pcmcia cards on these systems and I have to reboot to bring them back up. Just default install doesn't work so, I have a specific process to bring the cards on line:

1. set up the cards with system-config-network and then disable them at boot 2. move the run order of pcmcia init script (s24) beyond the network init script (s10)
3. reboot the system

This causes a couple of delays with some of the daemons between s10 and s24 (like named) but at least it works.

The problem with this working solution is that if I (or any app) does a service network restart, the pcmcia card no longer responds (although the light on the card does stay on). I've tried doing the sequence of:

service network stop
service pcmcia stop
service network start
service pcmcia start

to mimic what happens when the system boots. But this does not work and I would really just like to have service network restart work anyway. So I was waiting on a rainy day to figure out what is wrong and what would be the best way to fix it. And I have read through the documentation of pcmcia-cs and it states that I may need to edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file so that network init works correctly. So my question is:

what is the best configuration of this wireless card, on a system that has a NIC as well?

.