Re: Problems with Grub

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 08:41 -0500, Joshua M. Tollefson wrote:
> Good day all,
> I've been trying to load up a second HD with Windows XP on it this
> morning. I've been reading through the GRUB menu and alot of what I can
> find on Google but still to no avail. Any suggestions?
> My current grub.conf
> title Windows XP
>         map (hd0) (hd1)
>         map (hd1) (hd0)
>         rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>         chainloader +1
>         makeactive
>
> It looks like it starts to load the OS because the HD light comes on but
> it just hangs.

I had a similar problem some time back and pulled my hair out for a week
trying to figure it out.
I will assume the drive with XP is /dev/hdb and that
/boot/grub/device.map shows that as "(hd1)  /dev/hdb"

What I did to make it work was change one line.
   rootnoverify (hd0,0)
This works because now grub has remapped both drives.

However, you also have to say how XP was installed.
If it was put in as /dev/hda or /dev/hdb and was the only drive in the
system when installed, then moved to the slave position my suggestion
should work.  If it was in the slave position when installed and a
master drive was in the system then this may not work.