Re: how to recover deleted files?

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 08:45 +0100, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I accidentally deleted some important files in my
> linux box (using rm -f option). Is there a way to
> recover those files? The deleted files were in
> different partition "fat32". I could have recovered
> the files from windows if I was using duel boot but
> unfortunately I am using linux only (FC4 with some
> fat32 partition mounted) so I need linux tool to
> recover deleted files.
>
> Any suggestion most welcome
>

> ________
> ___  __ \_____ _____
> __  / / /_  _ \_  _ \
> _  /_/ / /  __//  __/
> /_____/  \___/ \___/

The best suggestion I can think of, since the filesystem is vfat, would
be to download and burn a copy of bartPE, which is a windows based
LiveCD. Depending on the version you download, there should be a file
recovery program included.

If you are not running Windows, I would suggest you convert the "fat32"
partition to ext3/2. Fat32 is a windows partition and linux utilities
that might undelete a file are pretty much non - existant, Not to
mention shortcomings in fat32 like lack of security attributes for
files/directories, limit on partition size, limit on file size, etc.

HTH

Micheal