Re: Modifying a TrueType Font name/style

On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 22:31 -0500, micheal wrote:

> I don't have many useful suggestions, and it looks like FontForge may be
> your best bet. I came across this page while googling though
>
> http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/editors.html
>
> Maybe one of those programs might point you in the right direction

I installed fontforge - there's clearly more to ttf than I at first
thought, I changed what I thought needed to be changed - the fonts did
in fact show as one family in the font viewer, Mozilla was able to get
the bold face - but AbiWord for whatever reason was not (even though it
gets the bold face from other fonts no problem).

I think I'm going to write the foundry and ask if they can do an update
release that produces better more conforming fonts - I probably can
figure out how to do it with FontForge but FontForge seems to crash an
awful lot ...

I did rebuild FreeType for the byte-compiler, as fontforge says it needs
that for working with TrueType fonts - it did fix the poor rendering of
Comic Sans MS (why I initially looked for a replacement script font and
found this Wastrel font) - but it made some other fonts look a lot worse
- like my Monaco font (a ttf conversion of the Apple font) - didn't look
anything like it was suppose to. Screwed up the rendering of the
bitstream-vera fonts as well. So I reverted to stock freetype.

Hopefully the foundry will decide to produce proper fonts if I ask
nicely. From what I hear, the guy who developed this font is a real nice
guy, so ... maybe that's the best bet.