Re: Forthcoming FC4 kernel update, more testing required. [ I think it's broken. ]

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 16:36 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
>
> > I've been having trouble with kernel version 2.6.12-1.1456_FC4, so I
> > downloaded 2.6.13-1.1525_FC4 and tried it.  It seems to be broken in the
> > same way, namely:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> > More info available on request.
>
> File a bug.  I don't think the maintainers will follow up with you based
> on your report here.  As Red Hatters have repeated often on these lists:
> If it's not in Bugzilla, it's not a bug.

That may be true Matt, but as Dave said just before you sent this, Jon's
problem is likely an issue with X and not with the kernel. I would say
the same considering the timing of the problem.  More tests and
information are needed to narrow it down though.

Sometimes things do get resolved without a bugzilla, especially cases
where it is a configuration or user issue.

In all cases you have to look at the actual problem, not the perception.
If it is X the bug would go against X.  If it is a kernel issue the bug
goes against the kernel.  If it is a driver problem the bug goes against
the driver. Identifying the actual problem is better than just a blanket
statement something like "My PC won't boot since I did an update".

The more the user can do to narrow down the problem source the quicker
it can be identified and fixed.  Often the best help is to assist in
ways to identify the actual location of the problem.  Then, if
appropriate, file a bug against the proper package.