RE: Help with Samba

> $smbclient -L \\machine
>
> or try to see it in Nautilus, samba does recognize the machine , even
> when I can't access it because when I try it says
>
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> machine = W2K
>
> and I'm usin FC4

The ACCESS_DENIED message means samba does not want to talk to you.
If you told your samba machine that it is a PDC, you will have to have
a machine account for it on the Samba PDC.  (PDC = Primary Domain Controller)
The samba documentation goes into detail, but in short, on the Samba PDC
you should add an /etc/passwd entry for
machine$:*:12345:900:Trust Account:/dev/null:/dev/null
Where "machine" is replaced by the name of your w2k machine.  (keep the $)
12345 can be any unique uid.
You can then, on the w2k machine, go into my computer->properites->network identification
and join the domain.  You have to set up smbpassd entries for an administrator account
which can join the domain and for accounts  you can use to log into w2k machine.

There are a bunch of other ways to do this.  This happens to be the way
I do it at home.

Bob Styma