Re: how do turn off an external hard drive

Michael Hennebry:
>> The USB connector had to be unplugged before the power off switch
>> would work.

jdow:

> That makes sense. It would be an easy way to prevent placing an
> overload on the USB power bus.

That'd only be needed if it was engineered by a fool.

If you were building a box to be externally powered, you wouldn't design
the circuitry so that it tried to power the drive from the USB cable, as
well.  You'd only power as much as was needed directly from the USB port
(e.g. part of the USB interface).

I read messages from the public lists.