Re: Move directory from one partition/device to another

James Wilkinson wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

I'm a little at a loss to explain this thread's existence.

# du -hs /etc
61M     /etc
# exit
logout

Ok, it makes sense to move /home or /tmp to another disc, but
who cares about /etc? It's less than 100M on my machine.

Sorry, Mike, but that's enough of an excuse for me to go off at a
tangent. It's not aimed at you...

Nothing personal taken, I'm sure :-)

I'm a little at a loss to explain this thread's existence.

"Because I find it intellectually interesting."

I did mention that as a possibility :-)

This is Linux. It's based on Unix, a system designed to give the user
huge amounts of flexibility over the way it works. And it's
re-implemented by hackers who wanted to make their computers do what
they want them to do.

Now there are some things that are difficult: fixing some bugs, getting
specifications to certain bits of hardware, stopping laws that take away
freedoms, making software that does Just What The User Wants, or making
a 486 do two billion instructions per second. But within that, Linux
should be a system that a technically-minded person can understand, fix,
and make it do what *they* want.

So if there are things you *can't* do, that's irritating. And a
challenge.

Ok, fine. But then, why not design a different bootstrap and write your
own BIOS as well? Then you wouldn't be bound by the way the MBR and
partition table work.

:-)

[snip]

convenience. But I am free to do things my way whenever I want.

Aren't we all!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.