Re: Antivirus

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Peter Gordon wrote:

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 17:51 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
Personally, I have found that F-Prot is great.  I have messed around
with Clamav and it worked for a while but then crapped out.  Not only
that, you had to mess around way too much to get it to do a thorough
scan.  F-prot has great documentation, updates are frequent, and it just
plain works.  Highly recommend it.

Unfortunately, F-Prot is not Free/Open-source. According to what I could
find on their site, it's only free (as in "no cost") for personal
workstation use. It's for this reason that I recommend not using it at
all. However, the final decision is yours to make: if you want to use
proprietary software, you have the right to do so (presuming, of course,
that you obtain it legally, etc.).

We had both clamav and fprot on the same server and most of the time clamav had definitions before fprot. Clamav runs very well under heavy load and is extremely easy to configure and update. As well there is way more documentation on configuring clam using other open source servers than any other virus scanner.

We decided not to renew the fprot subscription. We now also use clamav on our file servers as well.