Re: File Modification While Tar is in Progress

Manish Kathuria wrote:
I am using tar to take backups of multiple files and directories and some of the files are about 500Mb. What happens when archiving of a large file using tar (plus compression switches) is in progress and the file is altered by some other program ? What do I need to do to make sure that my archive is not corrupted ? For example, the large file in question could be an IMAP mailbox on a Mail Server where I cannot afford to stop either the MTA or the IMAP server to prevent the file from getting altered.

Using an LVM snapshot should be one approach to solving this problem.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshots_backup.html

Paul.