Re: Making users to use port 587 for submission emails

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 15:59, Justin Zygmont wrote:

> SMTP could use a lot of redesign, I guess they never knew back then what
> they do now in terms of problems with spam, encryption, authentication,
> etc.  I'm suprised something hasn't been created to intend as a
> replacement, like ipv6 is to ipv4.

SMTP is a redesign... In the earliest days of the internet an ftp-like
protocol was used for email, but with probably a few dozen total
machines connected they decided that a scheme that required
pre-configuration and authentication for every new machine was
too difficult to scale up.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx