Re: Logins

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 12:16, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > I install FC4 with KDE; when I login with "root" and password I receive this
> > message: "Root logins are not allowed".
> > I can login only via ssh (root + psw).

> Do not graphically login as root! This is not allowed by default for
> good reasons. There should be no real reason to do so. Logged in as
> mortal user you always can start applications as root if needed.

It's always fun to see how competing developer opinions work out, like
someone writing the passwd program to not accept piped input because
he had 'good reasons', then someone else writing expect so a script
could push input through a pty as a workaround, making things much more
complicated than necessary.  Is there a similarly warped workaround for
people who only log in to do operations that must be done as root or do
they just avoid KDE?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx