Re: can yum remove old packages?

On Wednesday 07 Sep 2005 00:00, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 10:58 am, sean wrote:
> > on a yum update,  yum didn't do cleanup.
> >
> > Now I have a lot of duplicate packages, e.g.:
> >
> >   rpm -q libidn-devel
> > libidn-devel-0.5.6-1
> > libidn-devel-0.5.15-1
> >
> > How can I erase all the old packages?
>
> You might want to take a look at Synaptic package manager. It will warn you
> of the duplicate packages when you run it. It presents a nice graphical
> interface that lets you quickly see the packages, select the old ones, and
> remove. It will be still be tedious given what you say a couple of posts
> later, but, perhaps less so than the command line method.

Indeed, we should mention that Synaptic is a front end for APT :)
I have found (just my experience) APT to handle the "OP's" situations quite
well, however I have never experienced problems with that large number of
dupes.

Just a thought..

Colin
--
Fedora Core 4, Custom Built Kernel 2.6.13-ck1
KDE-Redhat-3.4.2-1.2.fc4.kde