Re: RHN subscription

Tom Diehl said the following on 03/09/2005 02:28:
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Jeff Vian wrote:

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 22:24 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Tony Nelson wrote:

At 3:40 PM -0500 9/1/05, Jeff Vian wrote:

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 03:39 +0930, Tim wrote:

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 16:25 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

If you want to check for updates, try "yum check-update" instead.

Which takes several minutes to complete (fetch new information, and
parse local files, etc.). Yet RHN would let you know in a few seconds that there were some updates, and would only go through the long process
of working out what, *if* you wanted to follow it up.

I miss that aspect of RHN.

The RHN alert icon is on the panel for me by default. All it takes is a few seconds to configure it and it works to do exactly what you suggest.

I think many people on this list would like to know how exactly to
configure RHN to work on FC4.

You can't. RHN does not nor has it ever supported FC anything. Besides why would you want to? (its a rhetorical question, do not answer it I do not really care) :-) You have a perfectly good updating system with yum. All you need to do is READ one of the many documents on it and away you go. It is not really that
hard as long as you are willing to take a few minutes to learn about it.

You are right Tom, RHN does not do the updates.  However, the RHN alert
icon for telling you that updates are available does work on FC4.

Where did I say it didn't? The OP asked about RHN not the applet.

I use the icon to let me know updates are available since I do not want
to allow yum to do updates automatically. Then, when I chose, I do the
updates manually.

Ok, I do not see any problem with mine anyway. Works out of the box.

Regards,

Tom

Tom

do you mean that turns blue and red???
Mine stopped working after upgrading from FC3 and FC4 and then running the first general update after CD installation.

--
 Antonio
Mail by Thunderbird 1.0.6 - Websurfing by Firefox 1.0.6