Re: system-config-display won't accept root password at boot

--On Friday, September 02, 2005 9:27 AM -0500 akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

system-config-display should not be running at boot. If you have
nvidia drivers in use you should uninstall the drivers under the old
kernel . Then boot the new kernel to init 3 and the re-install the
drivers.

Why is that necessary? Shouldn't the driver be installed for any kernel I might choose to boot?

It's likely, though, that I forgot to rebuild the driver for the new kernel. But that shouldn't block the boot. That should just stop X from loading. At the time this happened, I was running headless and was ssh'ing in, so I had to wait until I could free up a head (keyboard & monitor) so I could see why it was failing to boot.