Re: FC4: Ways to use PalmPilot

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 16:51 -0400, pking123@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Last night, I noticed that FC4 (Fedora 4) was able to read my
> PalmPilot m105 (the first one to do so after much on again/off again
> trying.
>
> Now, emboldened, I would like to know if there are any Linux
> applications, similar to the Palm Desktop that can be used to add
> updates to things like the Date Book and the To-Do list?
>
> Any suggestions? I would even accept suggestions on the level of
> using vi, emacs, or whatnot. The problem is that the To-Do list and
> the Datebook appear to have some kind of special format (upon
> checking it with 'less') that would make it seem that vi/emacs is not
> the way to go, except to add ascii files.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul King

You might want to consider starting with Jpilot:

# yum info jpilot

> Name   : jpilot
> Arch   : i386
> Version: 0.99.8
> Release: 0.pre9.fc4.1
> Size   : 732 k
> Repo   : updates-released
>  J-Pilot is a desktop organizer application for the palm pilot that runs under
> Linux.  It is similar in functionality to the one that 3com distributes for a
> well known rampant legacy operating system.

After that, there seems to be some discrepancy/difficulties in the
software included with FC4.  There is gnome-pilot which can be coupled
with Evolution and also kpilot.  Problem has crept in due to FC4 having
updated it's underlying "pilot-link" package to a version (0.12) that
the other packages weren't quite ready for.  jpilot is supposedly
updated to use the new version but the others may still be experiencing
some difficulties.

HTH,

--Rob