Re: SMTP server or "forwarding"?

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 12:01 -0500, Jonathan Berry wrote:

> Okay, well I guess I should stop trying to be general and explain the
> situation.  My sister is away at college right now and she has to
> connect to the internet through the university's network.  Of course,
> they block port 25 out to our (home) ISP's SMTP from their network.
> The university supplies students with email, but this has to be
> accessed via a web interface.  They provide IMAP connectivity for
> professors, but not students (who knows the reasoning for some
> university policies?).

I dare say it helps curb spamming.  Spamming is easy when you've access
to a mail server.  Not so when the spammer has to use a webpage
interface.

> So to my knowledge, there is no SMTP server that she could use to send
> email with a normal client (she uses Windows by the way).

IMAP is completely separate to SMTP, so there *might* be an SMTP server
available to everybody.  Then again, they might restrict that, too.

> So, what I want is to setup something to where should could send email
> to my Linux server, which would then send it out to my ISP's SMTP
> server to go wherever it needs to go.  But since port 25 out is
> blocked, my server needs to listen on a different port.  I was just
> going to pick some random, high number like 4539 for
> instance.

Well, your sister could try using your server on whatever port you want
to use, if you've got network access without the same restrictions.  She
could sign up for a proper mail service provider, many offer other-than
port 25 connections for people in her position.  e.g.
<http://fastmail.fm/> used to offer such a feature.  That's probably
easier, and safer than exposing your network.

Whatever route you take, your sister configures her mail program to use
the address and port she wants to.  If you're providing a non-port 25
SMTP server, it's up to you to add some port forwarding in your system
to connect it through, or run an SMTP server that listens to more than
one port at a time (so you can still do your own mail, normally).

I read messages from the public lists.