RE: grub segmentation fault on RAID 1 lvm

On Friday, August 26, 2005 6:28 PM, Craig White wrote:

>Nothing wrong with lilo - grub seems to work better.

This is not so true with RAID.  Grub does not support it like lilo does.
In fact, my experience is that grub-install does not work with RAID1
/boot partitions at all out of the box.  With lilo, it will
automatically make the mirrors of RAID 1 both bootable and active with a
boot image after lilo is executed.  You can literally kill either drive
and still be able to boot into the degraded one.  In order to do this
with grub, the boot image must be installed onto both drives manually,
or it must be patched as Bill described.

>I think that there are thousands of people successfully
>running Fedora and a few people that are struggling can
>mislead others into thinking that there are some problematic
>issues with the defaults but typically, they have varied from
>the defaults.

No one is being misled here.  In fact, my implementation only uses
stable Fedora rpms from the base and update repositories.  David is
implementing a good solution.  I was using lilo on both FC1 and FC2
without problems.  In fact, it never really made much sense to me for
Fedora to offer RAID during the install and then not provide a valid
RAID-compatible boot image automatically across all drives (it did on
FC1 because lilo was still an option). Maybe grub2 will prove more
promising.

--

Shawn