Re: hard drive config suggestions

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 12:14, James Pifer wrote:

So, on to my question. It's a real hassle to go through this when
ATA/EIDE drives fail, and it seems like they fail a lot nowadays. I have
quite a few of these drives so I'm not looking to purchase anything
else, like SATA. So I'm wondering should I try doing some type of RAID5
with these drives?

If you have power problems or the motherboard fries it can take
all the attached drives at once.  You might be better off getting
some firewire/usb2 enclosures for your extra drives and just
periodically mount them and rsync the parts you want to back
up.

If RAID 5 was used via a RAID card, would this be less of a worry?
I mean, unless a surge physically takes out the HD's, then you have a second level of protection.

Of course, don't cut corners on the power supply or UPS.

I ask this as it is getting quite easy to build a multi TB RAID array for not much money and backing up that amount of data can cost more then the array.

--
Robin Laing