Re: [Fedora] Re: rpm problem

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 20:15 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> >See if this works:
> >cd /mnt/storage/RH/Updates/4/i386
> ># rpm -Uvh \
> >glibc-2.3.5-10.3.i686.rpm \
> >glibc-common-2.3.5-10.3.i386.rpm \
> >glibc-devel-2.3.5-10.3.i386.rpm \
> >glibc-headers-2.3.5-10.3.i386.rpm
> >
>     This works.  However, my question still stands, why does it fail
> initially when I do a wildcard update?

I'd guess (and it is only a guess) that it sees the i386 version of the
package first, discards the i686 version because it's the same
version/release of the same package, and later finds out it actually
needed the i686 version to match what you had installed.

> >If you've mirrored the "repodata" directory along with the packages
> >themselves, you could actually use yum:
> >

>     I don't mirror that because I don't use yum.  rpm has always proven
> successful to me, so why change to yum (which I did and it caused me all
> kinds of problems.)

What sort of problems? Did the problems involve third-party repos?
There's no need to use them - you could disable all but [core] and
[updates-released] and still have useful functionality.

In this particular instance, yum would have worked where rpm failed you.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>