Re: How to unpack DVD movie to edit it's video/sound?

Don Levey writes:

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 21:35 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Don Levey writes:

> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 20:18 -0400, Don Levey wrote:
> >> Just for amusement, I tried this procedure. First, I set up and
>> mofidied the script slightly, made sure the appropriate packages were
>> installed, then ran it.  I set up a basic dvd.xml file, created the DVD
>> files, and burned the DVD.  It worked - mostly.  What was interesting is
>> that while the DVD seems to have copied, the aspect ratio was off.
>> While the original disk was in 16:9, the copy plays in full-screen.
>> Clearly I've missed something here, since the dvdauthor output clearly
>> stated it was in 16:9 format.  Any thoughts?  I'd hate to screw up my
>> home movies, etc, when doing this.
>> > To follow up: Argh! The copy plays using full-screen on my home DVD
> player.  However, when playing via Xine, I get the full 16:9 aspect
> ratio.  Clearly, there's something else I need to do.  Anyone ever deal
> with this before?  Perhaps my home DVD player is at fault, but I don't
> have a second one with which to test.

Try poking around your DVD player's configuration screen. Many have options for choosing what to do with widescreen video.

I took a look at that, but haven't found anything to explain the
behaviour.  Playing a commercial wide-screen DVD renders properly 1t
16:9.  It's only my self-mastered CDs which play full-screen, even if
only on this player.
 -Don

There's a big difference between commercially stamped DVDs and burned DVDs.
It may very well be a software issue in your DVD player. It's entirely possible that there's nothing technically wrong with your burned DVDs, it's just that your player for some reason crops all burned DVD video to 4:3.