Re: Confused about tcp_wrappers and sshd

On 8/24/05, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) <stymar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just retested on FC3.  The ssh that comes
> with the standard repos does honor the
> /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files.
> I am not real familiar with the HOSTDENY program,
> but if it updates /etc/hosts.deny, ssh will
> honor it.  The tcpwrappers program also checks
> /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow.
>
> You can easily test this by hand.

What I did was the following:

(I am logged in via ssh on a remote host.)

1. Open /etc/hosts.deny
2. Add a line that reads "sshd: 127.0.0.1"
3. Save and exit
4. 'service sshd restart'
5. 'ssh localhost'

The document I linked to earlier says I should get the following
message "ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote
host". Instead I just get a new RSA key fingerprint message.

Am I doing something wrong or is there another way to test it?

Thanks,
Chris.