Getting Linux on PC

Okay, I have a compaq presario 5000, and the HD is only 20.0GB and I already have 1 partition which is the D:. So now I have the C: and D: but the partition that made the D: is FAT32, can I just delete all the files on that partition and put linux on there and will it work? Or is it possible that I partition the C: again and make an E: with like 5GB on it for linux, or will that delete my existing Windows XP on the C:? I really don't know what im doing, So, some immediate help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

-John Osbourn