Re: ftp problem to windows 2000 server

JT Design wrote:

I am having problem to ftp to any windows 2000 server from a Fedora Core 4 machine. After ftp login, I am unable to list or download any files from Windows 2000 server. The FTP hangs and get nothing returned. I do not have any problem ftp to other UNIX machine. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

This may be an iptables vs ftp mode conflict.
In your ftp session if you enter 'pasv' command and then try your other commands does it work? If so you can either live with that solution, or it can be accomodated as root by editing /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config changing the line near the top to read
IPTABLES_MODULES="ip_conntrack_ftp"
Then 'service iptables restart' to make the change effective.

This will monitor the ftp directives sent by your client to the server for openning data connections (as for listing directory contents or retrieving files) and add those anticipated connections to the iptables connection table. That allows the packets received on that different connection initiated by the server to be considered 'related' by iptables and the stateful line in default iptables config:
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
will accept the initial SYN packet, and when answered by your client's listening socket, becoming an established tcp connection so the same line would accept all subsequent packets too.

Chris

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021