Re: RPM error: librpm-4.3.so

On 8/24/05, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 10:09:14PM -0400, Mjumbe Poe wrote:
> > Whenever I try to run RPM, I get the message:
> >
> > rpm: error while loading shared libraries: librpmdb-4.3.so: cannot
> > open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > I recently upgraded my version of RPM to 4.4.1 (along with Fedora 4
> > from Fedora 3).
>
> What did you use to upgrade? anaconda/yum/apt?

I used the ISO images from online.

> > While doing some package cleaning (the atrpms yum repository didn't
> > work very well for me,
>
> What wasn't working?

In general, many of the atrpm package would be listed as causing
dependency problems when I tried to update my machine.  This is, in
fact, why I eventually upgraded from the ISOs instead of with yum.

> > so I was replacing all of the atrpm packages), I removed a package
> > called librpmdb4.3.  I figured this would be okay, since I was using
> > a new version of RPM with a whole shiny new rpm-libs.  But now I'm
> > getting this error.
>
> Sounds like you didn't update all components of rpm to 4.4.x
>
> What does
>
> # strings `which rpm`|grep librpm-4

I get:

# strings `which rpm` | grep librpm-4
librpm-4.4.so
#

Strangely enough, I didn't have to use --nodeps with librpm4.3 when
uninstalling.

> > I would reinstall rpm-libs-4.3 from an rpm, except I can't run RPM.
> > Any ideas?
>
> You can unpack rpm packages with rpm2cpio/cpio if rpm goes
> valhalla. You can also use rescue mode or sync the files from a
> working machine.

Unfortunately, rpm2cpio gives me the same error:

# rpm2cpio
rpm2cpio: error while loading shared libraries: librpmdb-4.3.so:
#

I'll try from rescue mode.

- Mjumbe