Gnome / X-Windows Bug

For grins I tried the New Login menu item under System Tools.  And, I
am now currently re-installing Fedora 4 (fc4).  As soon as I pressed
the menu button the screen went blank.  And after that I could never
get into an X display again!  I tried everything, I even did a find to
locate all of the most recently modified files.  And there weren't any
that related to xorg, or gdm, etc...  I'm using a Compaq EVO 850dt,
with a NVidia GeForce2 card, it is not a laptop.

I wish I could troubleshoot the problem, but I have work to do!

Hope this install works!

Evan