Re: Boot Log

Robert Locke wrote:

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 12:42 +0100, Rob Kettle wrote:
Hi,

anyone know what happened to the boot log messages that we used to get
in FC3. They seem to have been lost since upgrading to FC4 ?

Are there any plans to get this working again ?

Regards
Rob

If you are talking about all those driver messages and then all the
little "green" OK's, they still exist, they are just hidden.  Take a
look at your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and you will note a pair of new
arguments being passed to the kernel "rhgb" and "quiet".  The latter,
"quiet", suppresses the driver/kernel initialization messages from being
displayed on the console but can still be viewed after the boot
in /var/log/dmesg or by running dmesg.  The other, "rhgb" is why we get
the little blue bar showing the progress of the boot, though you could
click on "Details" in that window and get your "green OK"'s back....  Of
course, you could also remove both of those arguments from the kernel
and things will be as they were...... :-)

--Rob

On all my systems I turn off the rhgb (Red Hat Graphical Boot), while it looks good I find it kind of annoying if something takes longer than it wants to wait. I also turn off the "quiet" and my boot ups are more like they use to be. I think the proper direction is to have rhgb and quiet defaulted on boot though. Most general users don't like or appreciate the boot info. Me on the other hand, need and love the boot info.