Re: FC4 Freeze Issue

Hi James,

Edward Dekkers wrote:
>> I've found it notoriously hard to freeze a Linux box completely.
>>
>> In fact, I've never managed to do it just running Linux - it always
>> turned out to be faulty hardware.

> Um. Some 3D drivers (especially closed source drivers) can do it.

> Is there any pattern to what's happening on the computer? Are you
> ever at it, or always away?

> If you're always not using it, suspect the screensavers.

>From what I can see there does not seem to be too much consistency
with the freezes. The majority of the time the freezes occur under
slightly higher than average CPU load (i.e. burning a CD or install a
program). However, there have been occasions when the freezes have
been while it is sitting (seemingly) idle.

My video drivers are the standard drivers that come with FC4. My video
card is an ATI IGP 345M.

One of my friends suggested performing a full FC4 update hoping the
upgrade may fix the problem (as I am still running the original FC4
kernel) however, the machine will not stay active long enough to
perform the necessary upgrades.

I have booked the notebook in to get a new motherboard installed in 3
weeks (during my uni holiday period) to see if that fixes the problem.
As I have replaced all the other 'usual suspects', such as HDD, RAM,
Power Adapter.

Will keep you all informed as to how I get on.

Cheers for your help James & Ed, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony Crouch