Re: Mailing List software

On 8/23/05, Steven W. Orr <steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday, Aug 23rd 2005 at 13:39 +0300, quoth Dotan Cohen:
>
> =>Hi all. I have to send the exact asme email to 16 people, with each
> =>one thinking that he is the only recipricant. Until now, i had been
> =>opening new windows in kmail and copying-pasting the text into each
> =>one! But I think that I need mailing list software. Googleing for
> =>"mailing list software linux" gives me 23 million linux mailing lists,
> =>but no software! Is there a 'standard' mailing list program that I
> =>should know about? I don't have a webserver installed on this machine,
> =>though if that is nessaccary I would not mind installing one. It is a
> =>AMD 1.2 ghz box with KDE on FC4. Thanks!
>
> Hi, I just read the question and all of the answers to date and I have to
> make a few comments.
>
> 1. Majordomo is extremely old and has not seen a single keystroke of
> support in excess of 9 odd years. It is still in wide use but it is very
> primitive.
>
> 2. The mailinglist that is distributed by Fedora and other disrtos is
> Mailman. Both ubiquitous and not a bad implementation.
>
> 3. What I use for my lists is Majordomo2. MJ2, as we afficienadoes like to
> call it is hugely superior. It is an object oriented design and interface
> written in perl. The fine controls that it supplies totally blows Mailman
> out of the water.
>
> 4. If you do run a mailinglist and you don't have access to a webserver
> then you should set up a webserver. It's not hard and having a list
> manager without a web interface is just dumb.
>
> And last, it's not clear that a list manager is not overkill to send a
> message to 16 people.
>
> for ii in $(< listaddrs)
> do
>     mail -s "Bwahaha" $ii <<EOF
> Here's my important message that only you have received.
> EOF

I just installed apache, php, mysql, and I don't remember which MTA
from the fedora disks. I'll just do a php quickie. I was considering
doing it in bask with DCOP, but I have absolutly no experience in
bash. I will need to learn it, no doubt, but not today!

Thank you all for the many suggestions. Just learning that DCOP exists
was worth the trouble I went through today.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/373/newton-john_olivia.php
Newton-John, Olivia Song Lyrics